Friday, March 24, 2006

step off buddhist


I had an experience particular to california the other day. A white buddhist lady got all condescending on me. As in spiritually condescending. There is nothing more annoying than encountering the self-righteousness of the new agey. I could just see the bubble thoughts above her head rife with pity for my un-buddha-like nature, for my un-bodhisattva-ness. If she could see my bubble thoughts they would've been saying: You are not Tibetan lady! I don't care how many prayer flags you hang on your porch. Bring it on, I bet I could meditate you under the table!

*note: I have defended buddhism many times to fellow anti-authoritarians, this post in no way questions buddhist practice only new agey obnoxious buddhist practice (the same could be said for any beliefs that bind themselves with judgement – veganism, yoga, smoking, nonsmoking, anarchism, liberalism, on and on and on.)

No comments: