Saturday, March 11, 2006

know your enemy

I want to write a profound entry about how the state controls us with the threat of imprisonmment. And how having over 2 million people in prison has a devastating effect on our development as people. And how we were all born under this system and it stymies each and every one of us. But, I can't really do that topic justice.

I can reminisce about Los Angeles. A city I love and hate. A Rage Against the Machine song came on the radio today and it brought me back to the DNC and their live performance outside the staples center. Towards the end of the concert the police rioted and for the first time in my life I ran in the streets with hundreds of other people; running from fear of being beaten or shot with rubber bullets. Downtown LA was desolate that night. Except for the eery spotlights shining between the buildings making it look like a movie set. When you turned the wrong corner you caught a glimpse of line after line of shiny LA riot police in formation like an army. Helicopters, spotlights, metallic buildings, riot police and people running. Reconvening with my friends later, one of us had a broken shoulder, broken by a cop on a horse. If you can envision a fully plated riot policeman on a horse using a baton to beat a girl holding a camera. WTF. RATM never sounded so good.

No comments: