Wednesday, March 01, 2006

performing ritual


Trinh T. Minh-ha - damn. I almost walked out becaue you were incomprehensible. But, the woman next to me said that it takes a while to set in, it is a lecture in poetry. The Fourth Dimension, an essay film about Japan, was worth the wait. Apparently, I love essay films. It was every bit as wonderful as I remember Reassemblage being. The tempo of the images, the drums, the themes of 'performing gender', the digital realm, ritual, the 'choreography of everyday life' and so many other things you touch upon – the shots of the women trustfully sound asleep on the train – it was all delicious. And then I found this essay, which make me like you even more. I guess the Bay Area gets one point for having you as a professor.

"Silence is so commonly set in opposition with speech. Silence as a will not to say or a will to unsay and as a language of its own has barely been explored."

– excerpt from the Trinh T. Minh-ha essay, Not You/Like You: Post-Colonial Women and the Interlocking Questions of Identity and Difference

No comments: