Saturday, May 27, 2006

uptown blues

My entire body is aching. My back is one big muscle spasm. The chiropractor told me not to lift anything heavy. Ha ha. Funny because she must not know about the 8 boxes of books sitting in my living room waiting to go to the post office.

My going away party is over with. It was fun with a bit of a 'this is your life' feel to it. Or as someone put it, it's like having your funeral while you are still alive. (And look, people DID show up - whew!) Things are shaping up and coming to nice little packaged endings. Seems that I can still be a belligerent drunk idiot in my car and my good friends still talk to me. Although I'm not taking those friends with me to Chicago. Probably new people won't be so forgiving. People said I seem happy. I think I seem happy. Someone asked me if I'm sad to leave. And I'm just not.

The Uptown however I will miss. It's a place you can always go and find someone you know. A place where more than once I've stayed until the lights came on and we all got kicked out. A place to sit on comfy sofas and have a surprisingly hearfelt conversation with someone, or an irrelevant name-dropping chat, or an analytical political debate. A place where silly things happen. And it turns out it is named after a Chicago neighborhood. Who knew.

No comments: