Saturday, April 29, 2006

bitter taste

There have been a bunch of freak accidents this week. A car wreck and subsequent gasoline fire in front of the Castro theater killing one man who was sitting in his parked car when the errant car crashed into him. Another man was killed eating dinner in a crowded restaurant; robbers entered and began collecting wallets, the man asked if he could keep his ID and he was shot dead. And an older woman was killed driving to work on the UC campus by a garbage truck.

I don't like clusters of meaningless deaths happening all at once. I am aware that meaningless deaths happen all the time, but it is unsettling that my attention keeps being drawn to them by the people around me or by a flapping newspaper on the ground. I don't like it. The bay area seems safe on the surface, and most of the streets seem quiet. But there is rage and ugliness beneath things and a seeping meaninglessness too.

Luckily, I am currently safe in my bed (for now) drinking a beer – ensuring my bitter quota for the day. J. pointed out that our culture undervalues bitterness in contrast to sweetness. Tip for the day: appreciate bitter taste because it is good for you. Makes your stomach fiery.

No comments: