Thursday, September 28, 2006

happy to be back

I've returned from my yearly trip to Cape Cod. This time we saw the cheesy part of the Cape; the part that hasn't been refreshing since the early 70s when I'm sure it was the place to party. Iceberg lettuce salads, old dirty salty types serving surprisingly fresh seafood, and a beer they've christened "Nobska Light." We stayed in a cheap motel with low cardboard ceilings and a metal tree figurine hung on the wall above the bed.

We also saw beautiful stretches of beach that rivaled Southern California. I had never seen the National Seashore before, it runs along the wilder ocean side of Cape Cod with huge orange sandy dunes and rough (for the cape) waves. There were even surfers in wetsuits in the water. We also visited probably the best library in America: The Wellfleet Library. It has an adorable logo of two mermaids reading a book, free internet, a great selection of books, and a warm lefty population of older artsy people which hosted me and "We Interrupt This Empire" several years ago. Also, Wellfleet has a place called "Box Turtle Woods" - yes, a wild box turtle habitat! Check out the Wellfleet box turtles here. I heart Wellfleet.

As much as I love the Cape and all it's weirdness, this is the first time I've felt so happy to be back in Chicago.

No comments: