Tuesday, September 05, 2006

life's too short


Check out the picture, life is too short. If you don't slow down you'll miss the hotdog man doing a little dance. Just another weird Chicago thing I passed on the street lately. The biggest lesson I am learning from having left the Bay Area is how to let go. Even though that has been impressed upon me by several people who left me before I wanted them to, there is nothing like choosing to take off yourself. Forced disengagement. In the process of letting go, bits of memories come crashing through, several each day actually. Little snippets of conversations, disagreements, protests, meetings, drunken nights, embarassing moments, big parties; scenes that unravel into complicated situations that sometimes I don't want to remember. I don't know why these rememberances come back to me so vividly and suddenly like they do. Staring out the bus window, I take a deep breath and push them aside for a while. At some point, I think I will need to put it into context; a narrative I can understand. One thing is certain; the past decade has been filled with life and interesting situations. But tonight, tonight, here in Chicago I rode a tandem bicycle with A. home from D's house. Weaving in and out through the cold night air. I never rode a tandem bicycle in the Bay. Not even once.

No comments: