Tuesday, October 31, 2006

when chicagoans say chicago

The job was a bust. But travelling across Chicago everyday allowed me to feel a part of the city. I studied the different faces, ethnicities, and fashion while riding the trains. I passed through a lot of neighborhoods: Wicker Park, Downtown, Belmont, Uptown, Lakeview, Roger's Park. I don't feel like I stick out so much anymore. I have a sense of the geography and the landscape; brick buildings, tall lamp posts, and sweeping skies that hint at the giant lake not far away. I watched the leaves turn from green to bright yellow, and now I watch them fall. I'm beginning to understand why when Chicagoans say "Chicago" I hear tenderness, defeat, familiarity, and stubborn hope stuffed in that one word like a plump grape ready to burst.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. Well put. See Ben Hecht's comment repeated in the closing paragraphs of "Lost Chicago," first edition.

lisa said...

Thanks anonymous, for the tip on Ben Hecht. What an interesting character, I will read up on him.