Saturday, October 14, 2006

the chicago years

Today I felt as if I had been dropped inside a movie, or maybe it's more like a mini-series; I like to call it "The Chicago Years". Surrounded by people I don't really know, yet everything and everyone seems so familiar. This is proof that there is commonality between life in different cities for people that have similar interests, often to a somewhat scary degree. The bad part is that sometimes I feel divorced from the action, as if I am watching a scene play out on screen. I think this surrealism will continue until I feel more rooted. And particularly until people around me have a sense of who I am and how I can be useful. I have lost some confidence due to this sense of "not being known". Its the trick of being certain of who you are without the old smoke and mirrors to help your presentation. Without any context I'm left by myself in the middle of all these new people that look and sound so much like the people I left behind.

No comments: