Monday, January 22, 2007

the life aquatic

After watching a scary serial killer show on TV (seriously what else is on these days), there is nothing better than putting in a dvd of the fantastically ridiculous The Life Aquatic. I had been warned that this movie was not as good as the other Wes Anderson flicks, but I was in the perfect mood for it, plus I grew up watching Jacques Cousteau. The absurd ship with a sauna and whales peeking in the portholes, the bluegreen warm colors and the intricate mise-en-scène where sometimes you can see hallways and doorways and backgrounds that continue for days, the fake overly dramatic sub-plots, the silly sweetness of the characters–this movie will bring you back from the depths of depression. It took a while for me to warm to Wes Anderson, but I have become awed by the insanity of his imagination. His movies are cotton candy with a good soundtrack reminiscent of my pre-teen fantasy worlds. Thank you Mr. Anderson.

No comments: