Sunday, November 23, 2008

spain...on the road again

Slowly I've built my Sunday around "Spain...On the Road Again." I stumbled upon it once, and now it's part of my Sunday schedule. If you haven't seen it, it's about four people traveling around Spain gorging themselves on food and talking about it. The four people happen to be food writer Mark Bittman of the NYTimes (and the author of How to Cook Everything), chef Mario Batali, Gwyneth Paltrow, and a very beautiful Spanish actress, Claudia Bassols.

The show reminds me of a fantastic meal I had in Barcelona with three friends. We stumbled upon a tiny restaurant in the old part of the city, which was out of this world. We had fresh grilled calamari (the chef grilled the calamari in front of us) and these amazing potato tapas things with hot hot hot sauce. It was amazing. And the entire dinner cost like twenty bucks (this was before the dollar's decline.) I've never been able to get that meal out of my mind. But, now I can relive its essence every Sunday. How indulgent and utterly perfect it would be to travel around, primarily to eat. I can't help thinking, what an amazing gig, how the hell did they pitch this show?

No comments: