Tuesday, July 22, 2008

composting toilet



This is a picture of the composting toilet at the farm, and the view through its window looking out on the cornfields. There is something about cornfields that is super creepy, I think I never shook off The Children of the Corn.

Now that the over-abundance of corn is wreaking havoc on our food system and our bodies there is a real-life reason to be afraid of corn. Even though most U.S. residents are mostly made of corn now (like this quote from a biologist to Michael Pollan: "When you look at the isotope ratios, [U.S. residents] are corn chips with legs" ), I just can't separate Stephen King from the corn.

I would never ever walk through a corn field or a corn maze which I imagine would become a nightmare scene like the ice maze in The Shining.

For more on the scariness of corn check out this Grist article about Michael Pollan.

No comments: