Sunday, July 27, 2008

the bat man

In Wilmington now, and we saw The Dark Knight last night. Why does everyone think that movie is so great? Writing was eh, plot was wanting. Even the action scenes were often too convoluted to follow.

Is it that I can't enjoy action films anymore, or are they getting progressively worse? Does T2 hold up over time (one of my favorites), or is it a genre that speaks only to adolescent adrenaline?

And what about this suggestion from Rush Limbaugh that Batman is representing an unfairly criticized GW Bush? No doubt it had a lot of themes taken from recent headlines, but a strict interpretation of Batman as Bush seems reaching. I thought if anything, the movie warned of becoming what you are apparently fighting against. And wow, I hardly ever listen to Rush Limbaugh, but I did once I landed in North Carolina and, OMG, what the heck, do people really take him seriously? He said so many things not based in reality that I lost count.

Christian Bales's recent personal drama peaks my interest, and made Batman a bit more enjoyable. His is a beleaguered persona. A bunch of tension and anger just beneath the surface makes him such an interesting actor, with a strange monotone voice. It seems like he has a tragedy lurking in his background, which this recent episode with his mother and sister appears to confirm, and this just interests me more. If you like Christian Bale, you may want to rent Harsh Times in which he plays an Iraq War vet. The movie is not so good and incredibly disturbing, but his performance will haunt you.

And Heath Ledger, no one can deny that we lost a great one there. I always thought his performance in Brokeback Mountain was one of the best ever. His performance as the Joker was also first rate, It's a shame that his last movie, The Dark Knight didn't turn out better.

No comments: