Sunday, June 15, 2008

dad's day

It seems that dads are often disappointing. Most of my friends feel alienated from their fathers, but the spectrum is a wide one. Can you can have a friendly conversation with your dad? Do you wish your talks concerned subjects other than the weather and sports? Do you see him more than once a year? Do you talk at all anymore?

I think it's best to accept whatever your dad was able to give, even if at times it didn't seem like enough. Or even if the lessons you learned from him weren't the ones you wanted. I'm grateful for certain things my dad gave me: a childhood spent fishing on a dock, how to make stuffed mushrooms, an appreciation of big band music, my first records including a buddy holly record, a love of the movies and a curiosity about technology.

Maybe our generation will do a better job of being dads as some taboos about gender and emotional expression seem to have faded away. Possibilities for men to be more than male have multiplied, and this can only be a good thing.

No comments: