Tuesday, August 26, 2008

class of '88 bloat fest

While I was in Wisconsin I was missing my 20 year high school reunion that was taking place in San Diego, California. Luckily, my best friend from high school attended and gave me a little update.

Apparently, most of the men are unrecognizable. It seems that they've all bloated up and lost their hair. It's a group bloat. The fact remains that women age better than men (only the patriarchy wants you to think it's actually the other way around).

I perused some reunion pictures that were posted online while sitting at my desk this morning and realized that I was never friends with anybody at the reunion. Few of them would remember me at all, except maybe as that weird girl they never talked to. Firstly, I wasn't that popular. Secondly, most of my actual friends didn't make it to this reunion - I mean 20 years is a long time.

Mostly the "golden children" (that's what we called the blonde popular rich kids) seem to keep in close contact with each other and show up faithfully at all reunions - since high school days were their glory days.

At my 10 year reunion, which I did attend, I kept thinking "Wow, I never really liked any of these people." It was like looking in on someone else's reunion, people smiling, laughing, slapping each other on the back, while I'm glowering in the corner – just like high school! The one consolation is that I've aged better than most, and I'm just guessing here, but I bet my life has been more interesting than most as well.

Still I'm fascinated with the reunion photos. I do remember most people. And even though I wasn't close friends with any of them, we do share a common background. It's comforting in a way to see these people from so long ago. And if you've read this blog for a while, you'll realize that I'm nostalgic about absolutely everything.

No comments: