Monday, February 26, 2007

love it or leave it

Chicago has the worst postal service in the country, just another thing they don't tell you when you move here. Worst post office I've ever been to: Wicker Park Post Office. Whenever I go in, which is often, there is a long long line of people and one, usually incompetent, person at the counter.

One time, I could hear a group of workers watching TV and laughing in the back, while I waited in line for just under 1 hour. It is also common to see folks turned away and told, "We can't find your package, sorry, we'll call you if we do."

While waiting in line once, a woman turned to me exasperated and said, "This runs like a Communist agency!"

And if you don't believe me, check this out....in 1994 there was a Chicago postal scandal in which "Mammoth mounds of undelivered mail were found at several stations--including one pile 800 feet long, nearly the length of three football fields."

Living in Chicago means getting used to incompetency. Next rant? Icy sidewalks.

No comments: