Tuesday, November 07, 2006

train goodbyes

It is foggy in Chicago. Today the trees were framed in the train window like a painting. Bare tree limbs in the gray mist with just a few yellowish leaves barely hanging on. My mind drifted in a roundabout way as I thought about my old car, then my wine colored rug, and then to my ex-boyfriends family, and finally to rest with Maria. I remembered how I ran into Maria on the BART train one morning unexpectedly, because she lived in Sacramento. Surprised to see me, she asked me how I was and what I was reading. I don't remember the book I had on my lap, but I do remember chatting with Maria for a few minutes before reaching my stop and I remember how warm she was, and how motherly. I stepped off the train thinking what an amazing woman. About a month later, I got a call that Maria had died of cancer, and i felt how strange and lucky it was that I ran into her on the train and was able to say goodbye.

No comments: