Saturday, February 25, 2006

california magic


Stephen was holding a flower in his hands when I ran into him one evening outside his house. He said that he had gone to Santa Cruz on his motorbike, but never reached his destination because his bike had broken down on the way. I exclaimed, "Oh how terrible!" But then I realized he had a huge grin on his face and was radiating magic, as sometimes Stephen could do. He said, "No Lisa, I had the most amazing time." When his bike broke down, he pulled over, and then for some unknown reason walked off the side of the road and into a meadow. In the meadow was a beautiful girl picking flowers, as if she was awaiting him. Stephen stayed in the meadow with the girl the entire afternoon.

Stephen told me this story many years ago. He was one of my favorite people I have met here. He transformed space, time, and moments into new things. He died very young, which was a great loss to many people. He is influential in my experience of the west coast and what can be made possible with the intersection of art and space (and a little magic).

No comments: